Saturday, May 26, 2012

Vets and Cops and Power Outages


I was going to write about my trip to the vet where my dog freaked out had to be muzzled then broke a thermometer off in his, err, you know, then had to be tranquilized to the point of hilarity.
I was even going to write about the last Wednesday, when as I was getting ready for bed I heard a knocking, a gentle tapping at my front door.  Thinking my watchdog would bark if someone were there I just let it go as the wind.  Then I heard louder tapping, insistent tapping.  I got out of bed, put on my slippers, but didn’t bother with my glasses.  So I had to put my face right up against the glass of the front door, and who is standing there?  Deputy Fife of the Angola police department, 911-response unit.  Cops.  At my door?  Crap.
            I pointed him around to the side door, the one that actually works, and there is his friend with a flashlight the size of telephone pole shining into my eyes.  You know even though I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong I still felt guilty as hell, and I was scared.  Barney and his buddy Andy let me know that there had been a call from the old lady who lives here that a young prowler was seen in her garage.  Whelp, I explained I don’t have an old lady living here, just me and my vicious attack dog, currently smelling your crotch and humping your leg. 
Now if I were them, I would have asked for ID, looked a little in the house, as I invited them in, maybe looked into my story a little before saying, oops I’m sorry must have the wrong place.  There is our police force working hard to keep me safe.  Turns out the old lady who we bought the farm from seven years ago called in and either gave this address in her senility, or this address was in the 911 computers under her name.  Either way, I think if I were a cop I would have been a little more suspicious.  Not that I really wanted to go to jail or anything. 
I was going to write about that, but then my power went out, and stayed out for a very, very long time, and I decided to write about how much that sucked instead.  Except now I’ve already written about the cops at my door, and so this is just going to get really long as I write about both.


Monday night Presents:

My random notes while stuck in a cold house for three days without power,

Apparently it was the biggest ice storm in Stupid County’s history and at 7:00 a.m. Thursday morning, my power went out, flickered back on, out, on again, then out cold.  Did I say cold?

Thursday night
Powerless in the middle of an ice storm, wind howling, tree branches falling, thudding, knocking on the side of the house, scratching the windows, the draft in the room swirling, making the candle light move, forcing the shadows on the walls to dance.  And there I am freezing my butt off staring at a blank television in the dark wondering if it’s time to go to bed yet.  I glance at my watch; it’s 7:38 p.m., it’s going to be a long night.


Isn’t it ironic that in a power outage the one room that you don’t mind being freezing cold, the kitchen, for all of your food is slowly melting and your butter is soon going to taste like sour cream, it’s also the only room, if you have gas appliances that you can get warm, by lighting the pilot light and turning on the oven.  You just can’t win.  Wait, is that ironic, or just unfortunate?

Most embarrassing, yet quick thinking, and resourceful thing that I did:  I actually stole water from my dog’s dish so that I could make my pork chops.  I can’t explain the dish but it’s not quite as gross as it sounds.

Worst mistake I made.  Trying to invent a new salad.  Heard of the Chicken Caesar?  How about the Pork Chop Iceberg with ranch.  NO?  Didn’t think so.  The other white meat doesn’t go with the other leaf lettuce and the other dressing.  Maybe if I added anchovies . . .

Early Friday morning, house as cold as Hilary Clinton I suddenly remembered that I had a freezer full of ice.  Now, what do you do?  What do you do?  The ice is melting all over the inside of your freezer, yet at the same time, maintaining a much colder temperature because of it.  I got a bowl poured all of the ice in it and stuck it back in the freezer.  And now I have frozen chicken potpies to thank me, and whatever chicken lips are, I think they have been there since we moved in.

Good things about not having power:

Without power there is no water, so no dishes.

A lot of time to read

A lot of time to think

Affords you the chance to have an extremely romantic candle lit dinner, in my case it was a pork and iceberg salad with ranch cooked in dog water, alone.  Not quite ideal.

A lot of time to write

A lot of time to light fifty candles and sacrifice the neighbor’s sheep.

Who the hell am I kidding, it’s a perfect excuse to get blitzed, you only think you’re warm, but knowing is only half the battle, and after half the bottle, you don’t know anymore either.



I don’t know which is worse, seeing your breath in your own house, or it being too dark in your house to see your breath.

It’s amazing how many times I turned on light switches out of habit.  It’s also a little funny that I kept putting things back in the fridge when it eventually became colder outside of it.

Best part about losing power.  The feeling of happiness when you get it back.  Ahh, heat, now turn it down dammit, you think that pays for itself? 

Fact the beer companies don’t want you to know.  All beer is cold filtered it’s just a way of getting around having to pasteurize it.

Man of the Week:  Nisser, inventor of the trampoline.  Came up with the idea watching a bad circus.  The high wire act kept falling into the net.  Got to love a man who takes a bad and turns into my favorite drunken activity.

My biggest problem with NASCAR (There are so many):  In the commercials they show a lot of accidents, granted the only thing worth watching when it comes to NASCAR.  What’s the problem?  In order to get people to watch this pastime, that has been deemed a sport by the same idiot that thinks A Field of Dreams is the thrilling sequel to A Catcher in the Rye, they have to show what goes wrong.  Do they show a foul ball in baseball to get you to watch it, or the ref throwing a flag in an NFL game?  No.  This driving cars around in a circle is so dumb that the only thing people watch it for is to see them screw up.  “Wow man did you see Tiger Woods hit that ball into the ocean?  Wild.”

Thing I feel guilty about today:  I overheard one of the teachers talking about her grandfather, and how he was really sick and probably not going to make it much longer.  And while it was only a momentary start, a mere blink of the brain, I still thought, if even for a micro-second, should I go into the office and tell the principal that I’m free to cover her classes if she has to be gone for a while.  I’m like the back up quarterback, who doesn’t really wish for the starter to get hurt, but really, when it comes right down to it, well, he really does.

Quote of the week:  The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the past.
-       Bill Waterson, Calvin and Hobbes

No comments:

Post a Comment